About this blog

This blog is an assignment for my Reporting Contemporary Issues class at the University of Northern Colorado. I'll be covering Greeley City Council as well as the presidential election.

Monday, December 10, 2012

The End


            That’s the end. Blogging was certainly a different way to complete school assignments, and I’m glad I was able to learn basic blogging techniques like how to insert hyperlinks.
The blog-length story was also something new, and I think that’s what I really learned from the City Council experience. The first time my class went, I frantically wrote down everything I could capture and was left with both too much of everything and not enough of anything specific at the end of the night. The last city council I was able to pick up on a story I wanted to write, stress less and pick up more details about that story.
The most difficult thing about this class was getting sources on deadline. People I contacted often didn’t get back to me until I called them multiple times the day before the story was due. I think if I could suggest any strategies to future students of this class, I would say contact your sources early but don’t be surprised if you have to do some last minute pestering. Don’t be afraid to run up to the front of council chambers after City Council meetings and ask people questions. They’re pretty friendly and it will save you the trouble of trying to arrange phone calls later.
This class was hard work and it required me to do some real reporting, but that’s not a bad thing considering this is what I want to do with my life. I was also excited to see my name in print inthe Greeley Tribune because of this class. And so was my mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment